I delivered over 40 interactive exhibits about genetics and brain science for the London Science Museum’s Who Am I? gallery. Software for the exhibits was created by 11 different external software development companies.
I spent a year at the Science Museum (ScM) managing a team of contract administrators and content experts to deliver the exhibits which feature various physical and camera based interfaces as well as touch screens. The exhibits are housed in aluminium ‘bloid’ structures designed by Casson Mann. Several exhibits were also repurposed for use on the ScM website.
Here’s a summary of what I did:
- Creating briefs with the ScM content and new media teams
- Commissioning software developers based on pitches
- User testing of prototypes with the ScM audience research team
- Managing fabrication of custom housings
- Installation of exhibits on site with ScM’s AV contractor
- Establishing procedures for operating the exhibits with the ScM AV maintenance team
- Post opening troubleshooting
- Documentation of exhibit install and maintenance procedures